Job Title: Usher
Hours: Part Time – hours are variable including evenings and weekends (dependent upon show schedule)
Supervisor: House Manager & Special Events Coordinator
Starting Pay: $10.10/hour
Job Summary: Ushers are responsible for assisting patrons in navigating their way through the venue, ensuring a safe, orderly and enjoyable experience for all guests.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Welcome patrons to the venue.
- Scan patron’s tickets from Ticketmaster mobile app and/or physical ticket print outs.
- Accurately read tickets and navigate patrons to their seat location based on auditorium sections, row and seat assignment.
- Answer questions patrons may have and directing them to the House Manager for additional assistance.
- Knowledgeable on the venue layout to direct patrons to bathrooms, concessions, emergency exits, etc.
- Assist the House Manager with policies and procedures specific to COVID-19 including keeping pods of patrons 6ft apart, ensuring patrons wear their masks and sanitizing work items or high touch areas (door handles, flashlights).
Requirements and Qualifications
- High School diploma preferred.
- Must be able to stand, walk and comfortably scale numerous stairs for the duration of the shift (typically 3-5 hours).
- Familiarity with equipment for Ticketmaster ticketing system is helpful.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Ability to have fun, stay calm, and work with others in a sometimes stressful, fast paced, energetic environment.
- Strong work ethic, reliable and self-motivated, with an ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- First Aid training and CPR is helpful.
- Ability to work flexible hours, accommodating the theatres event schedule.
- Must provide: email capable phone (be available via email, cell and text), valid Driver’s License and reliable transportation.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to reach with hands and arms; speak loudly and clearly; hear and respond in busy and noisy environments. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk and climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and will occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities include color, close, distance, and peripheral vision and depth perception.
This Job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
About the Venue: The Kalamazoo State Theatre, located at 404 S. Burdick Street, has been a fixture in downtown Kalamazoo since 1927. The historic atmospheric style Vaudeville house and movie palace is now home to concerts, comedy, special films, and private events. Please visit www.kazoostate.com for more information about the venue.
The Hinman Company and Mardi Gras Enterprises, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Our Values: We are a team of smart, resourceful, hardworking, action-oriented people thinking creatively and outside the box. We have a hunger for achievement, a sense of urgency, and a will to win. We are trustworthy, respectful and honest. The foundation of our business is to understand and meet the needs of our customers. We take ownership in our efforts and strive to create value in everything we do.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.